Friday, January 28, 2011

STUFF: A New Policy

My friend Gina just wrote this post asking for ideas on how to limit all the stuff that accumulates in our homes, especially once we become parents. I shared with her and thought I'd also share with my myriads of readers (hardy har har) a new policy I'm implementing in our home.

Here's what I shared with Gina:

I'm trying to implement this new policy at our house...
For every new thing I bring into my home, I donate one old thing. That means that if the kids get a new toy, one old toy gets donated. Or if I buy a new pair of shoes or a new shirt, something else from my closet has to go. I like it because it not only encourages us to have less stuff/clutter and be generous to those in need BUT it also really keeps my buying in check when I know that I'll have to get rid of something else. It really helps me to stop and think before purchasing something. "Is this item really worth bringing into my home? What other item will it be replacing?"

We've had this policy for a while in regards to Christmas and Birthdays. But lately I've been trying to use this rule of thumb in all areas and seasons. Of course there is room for flexibility here, but for the most part, I am sticking to this rule on a daily basis (with the exception of groceries, of course).

I'm hoping that the more we stick to this rule, the less clutter we will have around the house and the more my children will learn the virtue of gratefulness and the value of money.

1 comment:

  1. Your amazing! Thank you for sharing your ideas with me... We are going to implement that in our home;) love you!

    ReplyDelete