Saturday, August 15, 2009

Repurposed Chalk Pots: A Good Thing



When decorating my home, I am a huge fan of re-purposing things we're not using anymore and using them in a whole new way. These chalk pots are a good example. My mom's group made them as a craft last year, and I just unearthed them from under an enormous pile of old blankets, paint cans, baby gear and empty cereal boxes (to be recycled, of course!) in our garage. You take plain, terra cotta pots and paint around the top of them with chalkboard paint. Then you are supposed to plant herbs in the pots and label them with chalk, all artsy-like. It's quite a darling idea... unless you have a black thumb like me. Somehow a trio of dead basil, rosemary and thyme in cute, little chalk pots just doesn't sound so darling, which is why I probably never used them in the first place.


So the other day I was hosting a little get-together and needed something to hold my cutlery (I use the word cutlery loosely, since it was really plastic wear from Albertsons...) I tried several containers, and they all looked pretty lame. And then... ta-dah! The light bulb went off in my head, and a re-purposed pot was born.







I love them so much, now I'm using them all kids of places around the house. Like here on my desk.



I also think they'd be super cute with kids art supplies in them.



See! With a little love and creativity, you can re-purpose almost anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment