Monday, August 23, 2010

Stripe It Up: Fixing a Bathroom Disaster

When we moved into our house a year ago, we made a little paint blunder.

To put it simply, we painted our kids' bathroom neon green.

I was kind of shooting for a pistachio-asparagus-frolicking-in-the-springtime kind of green, but instead we ended up with a shade reminiscent of Shrek.

Our first thought was to just repaint the whole thing. But then I saw this post on my favorite decorating blog and decided that painting some wide stripes in a lighter shade of green would tone everything down while still keeping the bathroom fun and playful for the kids.

So, thanks to my Mama, who helped with the taping, and more importantly watching the kids, I finally finished the project this weekend.

Here is the kids' much-less-neon bathroom.







I am kicking myself for not taking a before shot... what was I thinking?!
Just trust me. You would appreciate the striped wall a LOT more if I had a good before shot to make you gasp in horror. Because, believe me... it was horrible. Just envision the whole room the color of the darker green stripe and then add Shrek slime and a squeeze of lime on top of that, and you will have a small idea of how squint-inducing it was. I practically needed to wear sunglasses when bathing my children.

The Moral of the Story: Never EVER pick a paint color online, even if it's the last color you need to pick and your sweet husband is pressuring you to pick a darn paint color already. Even if you're moving and you have a 6-week-old-infant you are breastfeeding. Even if life as you know it comes crashing down around you, just get your butt over to Home Depot and buy a sample can. If you pick a paint color online, disaster will ensue.

3 comments:

  1. I'm green with envy (ha)! This looks amazing!! Superb work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love it! Those lines are so STRAIGHT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a bathroom wall scheme like that before. Good call on giving time to wall color and all that; some items shouldn't be taken in stride. More than that, though, the general layout of the bathroom. That's what really matters, and what should not rely on mere accounts on the internet, but in actual renovation services.

    Lida @ Waddle Exteriors

    ReplyDelete