Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Frugal Frannie: Make Your Own Taco Seasoning

I hate to admit it, but I'm not usually the Frugal Frannie of my family. I'm more like Convenient Constance or Aesthetic Annie.

Mc Preachy fills those shoes.

He's very McFrugal.

But I just came across a great money-saving tip, tried it out... and I'm a believer! It's a recipe for taco seasoning that you make yourself to use in chili, taco meat, fajitas, etc. If you're anything like me (Convenient Constance), you probably buy those taco-seasoning packets at the grocery store when you want to whip up your favorite Mexican dishes. The problemo is, those packets can be quite expensive. Well bienvenidos, Frugal Frannie. Welcome to my world. This mix is fabulous and much more budget-friendly.

BONUS: This tip will not only turn you into a Frugal Frannie, it will also make you quite the little Healthy-Hattie. Because those packets at the grocery store are loaded with TONS of salt, MSG and other gross, unpronounceable additives. This mix is au' natural and much more healthy for your family.

Here's the recipe. My one addition was... SALT! Okay, I know I just mentioned Healthy Hattie, but seriously, taco meat needs salt! And look at it this way, even if you add a good amount of salt, it will still not even come close to the amount of salt in one of those store-bought packets. So pat yourself on the back for saving on sodium and then shake it, baby, shake it!

Here's what I'm going to make this week with my sauteed and delish-seasoned ground beef:

Taco Salad a' la' Casey Crocker:
  • Romaine lettuce-- washed, dried and chopped
  • Ground Beef-- browned and seasoned with homemade taco seasoning mix!
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 avocado, cut up
  • tomatoes, chopped
  • black olives, sliced
  • dressing of your choice (I like spicy ranch for this salad.)
  • crushed tortilla chips

Mix all ingredients together and toss. Top with crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment