Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cookbook o' the Month: Deceptively Delicious

Hi, my name is Casey and I'm a cookbook addict.

I have a gajillion cookbooks, and just recently, I realized that I rarely use any of them because there are so many darn recipes to choose from.

So I've decided to chose one new cookbook each month and cook my way through it, trying those recipes I had marked but never gotten around to trying.

This book o' the month for July is Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld.




You know... THAT book that teaches you how to sneak veggies into your kids' food.

I've been using a few recipes from this book for a while, the pumpkin oatmeal and the banana bread... but there are lots of recipes I haven't gotten around to trying yet.
I kicked off this cookbook hootenanny by making Jessica's "Aloha Chicken Kebabs," which feature sweet potato, coconut and pineapple under their crunchy exterior.

The result was pretty tasty. I'd give it a 8 out of 10. The good news is: the kids ate it! So I got plenty of veggies and fruit into them just by feeding them chicken nuggets!

I think they would be even better with a little sweet-n-sour dipping sauce on the side. I will definitely make them again. They are going in the arsenal.

Other recipes I plan on trying:
  • French Toast with Pumpkin, Squash or Sweet Potato

  • Applesauce Muffins with Carrot

  • Pancakes with Sweet Potato

  • Coffee Cake with Butternut Squash

  • Fruit Punch with Raspberries, Pineapple and Carrot

  • Yellow Cake with Pumpkin

  • Frozen Yogurt Pops

  • Sloppy Joe's with Sweet Potato and Carrot

  • Tortilla "Cigars" (like Taquitos) with Yellow Squash and Carrot

  • Brownies with Carrot and Spinach (everyone says they are amazing, so I've just gotta try it!)

Well, I better get cooking!

I'll be sure to report back with my findings!

No comments:

Post a Comment